When he opened the box and showed you the engagement ring, your breath caught in your throat. Your eyes filled with tears, and you couldn’t believe that he picked out that beautiful ring all by himself. It seemed to shine in that box like it has it’s own personal light behind it.
So, now it’s a couple of months later and you are finding that your diamond is a bit dirty. You don’t have the time to run to the jewelry store every other day to have it cleaned, so what can you do at home to help keep that beautiful stone shining? Here are some tips and ideas to help you clean your diamond at home to keep it looking new for many years to come:
- If you take your ring off, do not place it with other diamonds. While a diamond can cut anything, it can also cut another diamond. So, placing your engagement ring with another diamond can scratch the surface or cause other problems with your ring. Never place your diamonds together where they can become tangled and scratch one another.
- Don’t wear your engagement ring while working outside in the garden or doing other types of heavy work. Doing heavy work can actually damage your diamond and ring, scratching it, bending the settings, or causing other major problems. If this happens, you can actually lose the diamond out of the setting, which would be a disaster. Keep it in it’s box or in another safe place while you are working in the yard or doing heavy work.
- When your diamond gets dirty, there are a few household items that you can use to clean it will that will not damage it. Liquid soap, dish soap, or toothpaste are all great ways to clean your diamond at home. Take an old toothbrush and place a small amount of soap or toothpaste on it. Gently scrub your diamond ring all over, taking care to get up in the bottom of the setting and removing all the dirt from under the diamond as well. Rinse your ring completely under warm water and allow to air dry.
- When you are near the jewelry store, you should go in and have your ring cleaned and checked by one of the jewelers there. This should be done at least once a year. This will help to ensure that there is no damage to your ring or other problems that can cause you to lose your diamond or the ring to break.
- You can purchase a jewelry cleaner that is sold at most stores but beware that these are normally very expensive, and you can often get better results with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste or soap.
Taking the right steps to keep your diamond shining will also help to ensure that your beautiful diamond will last forever. If you take care of this ring, you will be able to pass it down to your children or grandchildren one to day to keep as a family heirloom and it will look just as beautiful as the day that he proposed to you!